Acupuncture: What It Is and How It Works
If you struggle with pain or physical dysfunction, acupuncture might be able to help. At Holt Chiropractic & Acupuncture Clinic in Mountain View, AR, we utilize acupuncture as part of our holistic approach to treating a variety of uncomfortable symptoms and improving overall well-being.
Curious whether acupuncture may be helpful for your condition or symptoms? Read on to learn more about what the therapy entails, potential benefits, and what you can expect during treatment.
What Is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is an alternative medical therapy designed to stimulate specific points throughout the body by penetrating the skin with small, thin needles. According to Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), the human body has over 200 acupuncture points, which are connected by special pathways called meridians. These meridians are responsible for conducting energy flow, also known as Qi, throughout the body.
According to Traditional Chinese medicine, when any of the meridians throughout the body are blocked or interrupted, that disruption can result in disease and dysfunction. The goal of acupuncture is to stimulate certain points throughout the body to re-establish normal energy flow and improve overall health.
Numerous studies published by the National Institutes of Health have demonstrated acupuncture’s ability to relieve pain and a variety of other uncomfortable symptoms associated with numerous health issues. The World Health Organization also recognizes acupuncture as an effective treatment for a variety of conditions. Health problems that may benefit from acupuncture treatments include:
- Headaches and nausea
- Menstrual cramps
- Myofascial pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Low back pain, neck pain, and knee pain
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Hormonal imbalance
Keep in mind the above list is not comprehensive by any means. If you have any concerns about whether acupuncture may help improve your specific condition, don’t hesitate to reach out to our office with your questions.
What Can You Expect During an Acupuncture Appointment?
Though acupuncture treatments involve inserting thin needles into the skin, the process is virtually painless and requires a relatively short time commitment. There is no downtime associated with treatments, and patients can return to their normal activities immediately if they so desire. Here’s what you can expect during a typical acupuncture treatment:
- During your first session, our practitioner will assess your overall health to determine the most effective acupuncture approach.
- After conducting a comprehensive evaluation, our practitioner will use the information you provide to select various points throughout your body where the needles will be inserted.
- The practitioner will then have you lie down comfortably before beginning the treatment. Occasionally, needle insertion causes minor discomfort, but any pinching sensations fade rapidly.
- The length of each session will depend on your specific condition and your body’s response to treatment as your sessions progress.
- Your practitioner may also discuss dietary recommendations, as well as other practices you can implement at home to enhance the effects of your acupuncture treatments.
Schedule Acupuncture Treatments at Holt Chiropractic & Acupuncture Clinic
At Holt Chiropractic & Acupuncture Clinic, we have years of experience providing relief through acupuncture to residents of Mountain View, AR, and the surrounding areas. For more information on acupuncture, or to schedule an appointment, call us at (870) 269-5678 or visit us online.